Chance’s Knife is an outstanding unique combat knife that can be acquired at level 1 that has some of the highest DPS of any melee weapon in the game, matching that of the unique Oh, Baby! supersledge.
Tips before getting Chance’s Knife.
- Shovel required. The knife is buried in a grave, so a shovel is needed to dig it up.
- Cazadores present. If you aren’t careful, you may alert the Cazadores that hang out near the grave, which is a death sentence early on in the game.
How to get the Chance’s Knife
This guide starts you off from Doc Michell’s house, which is the house you start the game at. It proves that you can get this knife at the start of a fresh game with no caps and the base pistol you start with.
First, you must go in the direction of the location Goodsprings Source, which is south of the town.
First, follow the path down and to the south of the entrance to Doc Mitchell’s house.
Walk until you make it next to Victor’s shack, then move left and past the shack.
Next, you’ll get to an area between two large boulders. Go around them and you’ll see a split, take a left around the hill.
Eventually, as you’re following the path there, head towards the broken down windmill in the distance.
At the windmill you’ll find a full-condition shovel leaning against a pipe.
Next, go back to Goodsprings and follow the road north until you come across a “KEEP OUT” sign.
From there, turn slightly left and you’ll see a ridge that you can walk up.
You may encounter a coyote or two here but you can easily kill them with the starter 9mm Pistol.
Crouch down and walk as far away from the edge of the hill as you can and continue your way north.
Eventually, you’ll walk up a steep hill, and you’ll see a set of several Broc Flowers at the foot of the hill, to your right.
Carefully sneak down to the grave (falling from here will not cause you to take any fall damage) and loot the grave. Chance’s Knife will be inside as well as a Great Khan Simple Armor.
From here, just fast travel back to Goodsprings to bypass all of the nearby Cazadores.
Differences between Chance’s Knife and the base combat knife.
Chance’s Knife is basically a straight upgrade to the non-unique variant, as every single stat of the weapon is either the same or better.
- Has higher damage per attack (22 vs 15).
- Deals higher critical hit damage (22 vs 15).
- Attacks about 30% faster (4.15 attacks/second vs 3.23 attacks/second).
Tips on using the Chance’s Knife.
Thanks to the weapon’s fast attack speed and high critical hit multiplier of 2x, it excels in critical hit builds. It is also the only unique weapon that benefits from both the Grunt (Honest Heart’s DLC required) and Cowboy perks at the same time.
- The Better Criticals perk will increase the critical hit damage of the weapon by 50%.
- The Cowboy perk will increase the weapon’s base damage by 15%.
- The Light Touch perk will increase your critical chance by 5% while wearing Light or no armor (Dead Money DLC required).
- The Finesse perk will increase your critical chance by 5%.
- The Built to Destroy trait will increase the knife’s critical hit chance by 3%.
- The 1st Recon Beret and Ulysses’ Duster (Lonesome Road DLC required) each increase the knife’s critical hit chance 5%.
- A Luck SPECIAL stat of 10 will increase your critical hit chance by 10%.
- While using VATS, the player has a 5% higher critical hit chance.
- The Cowboy and Grunt (Honest Heart’s DLC required) increase the weapon’s base damage by a whopping 50% when taken together.
If the player takes both the Slayer and Ain’t Like That Now (Lonesome Road DLC required) perks, and optionally drinks a dose of Rushing Water (Lonesome Road DLC required), they will actually move faster if they make a Power Attack while moving forward, rather than if they just walked normally.