Elite Riot Gear is a unique set of armor found in the Lonesome Road DLC. It is the most protective non-power armor in all of Fallout: New Vegas. It also provides the wearer with a +5% bonus to Critical Hit chance and is one of only two suits of armor with this trait.
Tips before getting the armor:
- Lonesome Road DLC required. The player must have the Lonesome Road DLC installed to obtain the armor as it is located in an area within that DLC.
- Tunnelers in the area. To reach the suit of armor, you’ll have to fight your way past 2-3 Tunnelers. Having antivenom on you is recommended as their venom is highly dangerous.
TIP: Tunnelers cannot attack while moving, which means that as long as you keep moving backward while engaging them, they will never be able to hit you. Just be aware of your surroundings to ensure you do not back into any walls or obstacles.
How to reach the Elite Riot Gear
Make your way to the Third Street Municipal Building which is located south-east of the Sunstone Tower. If you can’t fast travel to the Sunstone Tower yet just follow the main questline of the DLC until it eventually sends you there.
Once you’re there, you’ll see a set of boulders that leads to fallen scaffolding. Walk up the boulders and scaffolding and make your way inside the building.
Once inside, turn right and walk through a ruined wall into a drainage pipe.
Enter the pipe and go straight ahead, you’ll eventually find yourself in a cave.
Once inside the cave, follow it. There is no way to get lost as it is a straight corridor. Keep your guard up as this is where you’ll encounter several Tunnelers, any of whom can easily kill even a high-level player. While you are here, you can pick up the Eyebot Upgrade Holotape which you can find on a destroyed Eyebot next to a glowing lantern right before walking up to the exit.
Once you exit the cave, you’ll find yourself back outside in the Third Street Municipal building, but on a higher floor. You will see a dead NCR Riot Control soldier that is wearing the Elite Riot Gear. Loot it from the corpse and leave the building the same way you came in.
Elite Riot Gear Armor characteristics
This armor is one of the most sought-after pieces of equipment in the game for multiple reasons.
- Second most protective set of Medium armor. At a whopping 22DT which is identical to T-45d power armor, tt is only beaten by the Gannon Family Tesla Armor (guide to acquiring that armor found here)
- Provides +5% bonus to Critical Hit chance. It is one of only 7 pieces of armor that boosts critical hit chance, and one of only three that boosts it by this much. The other two being Ulysses’ duster, which is acquired at the end of the Lonesome Road DLC as a reward and the First Recon Beret (guide to acquire the beret found here)
- Boosts to Guns and Charisma. It provides the wearer with a +10 bonus to the Guns skill and a +1 bonus to Charisma.
- Highest Durability among Medium Armors. It has 750 Item HP which is very high for a Medium Armor. As a comparison, the Remnants Power Armor only has an item HP of 400.
However, all these great benefits come at a cost, literally. Due to its value of 12,500 caps, repairing it at a vendor is more expensive than other armors.
Elite Riot Gear Helmet characteristics
The Elite riot gear helmet also has a number of useful and interesting benefits.
- Second highest DT of any Helmet. At 6 DT, it provides some of the best armor you can wear on your head. Due to a bug though it’s actually even better than that.
- “Hair” slot, not “Head” slot. Due to it being mistakenly coded as a “Hair” slot item, rather than the “Head” slot item, it can be worn at the same time as the First Recon Beret giving you the advantages of wearing both at the same time, which would be:
- +10 Critical Chance
- +10 Guns
- +1 Perception
- +1 Charisma
- Sneak Sight. The helmet grants the wearer Sneak Sight which is a kind of night-vision that enables whenever the player crouches down either while indoors, or while outside between 6PM to 6AM. This makes it an amazing choice for sneak builds as a replacement for the revealing pip-boy light.