The Holy Hand Grenade is a devastating unique throwable that can be acquired in Camp Searchlight’s south-eastern church.
Quick tips before you go to get the grenades:
- Limited number. There are only 3 holy hand grenades in the entire game. Once you use them all, no more can be acquired.
- Wild Wasteland trait required. Characters without the Wild Wasteland cannot acquire this type of grenade.
- Splash self-damage. Due to the high blast radius of these grenades, it is very easy for the player to injure themselves with the explosion, especially if the player has the “Splash Damage” perk or the “Loose Cannon” trait.
- Irradiated area. The location in which the grenades are found is highly irradiated. Bringing Rad-X and Rad Away is advised.
Acquisition of the Holy Hand Grenade
First, the player must travel to Camp Searchlight, located west of Cottonwood Cove and south of Novac.
Second, the player must make their way to the south-eastern church. You know that you’re in the correct church if you can see a large red house next to it.
Once you’re at the correct church, enter the basement through a wooden entrance in the corner inside the church.
Once inside, simply walk down the stairs and look to your right, you will see two Golden Geckos. Deal with them and look for a table. You’ll see a wooden crate with the 3 Holy Hand Grenades.
Tips for using the Holy Hand Grenades
- It’s recommended that players exercise extreme caution when using these grenades. Their blast radius is immense and they deal more splash damage than a Fat Man mini nuke.
- Taking the Hit the Deck perk will help somewhat, but the 25DT it provides is simply not enough against the monstrous 800 base damage and especially not against the 1600 damage that these grenades deal with the proper build.
- These grenades deal the most damage per second out of any explosive weapon in the game. Their base damage also beats a Fat Man mini nuke (though one that does not directly hit its target).
- Despite their absurd damage, they have an Explosives skill requirement of 0, which is even lower than the Frag Grenade’s 25, and a Strength requirement of only 2.
The Holy Hand Grenade is a reference to the “The Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch” used in the movie “Monty Python and the Holy Grail“. It was used by King Arthur to defeat the Rabbit of Caerbannog. The reference to the movie is strengthened by the text on the box near the grenades. In the movie, the “directions” for the use of the grenade state “First shalt though take out the Holy Pin. Then shalt thou count to three, no more, no less.” and that counting to “Five is right out.”