5.56 ammunition is a very popular ammunition type in Fallout: New Vegas, being usable by almost any gun build in the game. This guide will show you a glitch that will show you how to acquire an infinite amount of 5.56 ammunition, both its regular and armor-piercing variants.
Quick tips before you perform this glitch:
- Bring a doctor’s bag. Performing this glitch requires you to do a short unmarked quest. This quest requires the player character to have a Medicine skill of 50 or higher, but this requirement can be circumvented by bringing a doctor’s bag.
- Bring Hollow Point ammunition. If you are using a weapon that supports hollow point ammunition, you’ll be able to make great use of it here, as the area is filled with mutated animals and Lakelurks, which all have no DT, making them susceptible to Hollow Point ammunition.
- This glitch cannot be repeated. This glitch is a one-time use. It’s recommended that you farm up as much ammunition as you can with your one use.
Performing the glitch
First, you’ll have to make your way to a location called Guardian Peak, an abandoned NCR outpost located on the northeastern edge of the map, at the end of a road.
Once there, you’ll come across a parking lot. Go over the railing you’ll see on your left.
You’ll walk down the hill and see Guardian Peak in front of you. You’ll have to climb all the way to the top. To get there, go to the right. You’ll know you’re going the right way the whole time if you’re following white picket fences and mutated animals such as mutated rats or giant radscropions.
Follow the path between the two hills until you reach a fence, then go to the left. Keep following the fences.
As you are following the fences, you might see notes lying on the ground or stuck in bushes. They explain the story of what happened at Camp Guardian. They also serve as good pointers for where to go.
You’ll also come across a lot of wooden stairs while walking up the hill. Follow them. Don’t try to skip by straying off the path, as it is very easy to fall down from the mountain, not only resetting your progress but also potentially killing you in the process.
You’ll eventually find a wooden bridge. Walk across it to reach the other side.
At first, it’ll seem like you reached a dead end, but if you turn to the right, can walk on the narrow edge of the hill, past a fence, to reach a wooden staircase that leads to the top of the hill.
Once you walk a little past the staircase, you should be able to see the remnants of the NCR camp that used to be on Guardian Peak. You’ll also see a flying NCR flag on the other side of another wooden bridge. You need to get to that part of the peak to progress further.
Walk across the wooden bridge and you’ll find yourself in a camp. There is a cave entrance on the left, in the northern part of the camp. Go there.
Once inside the cave, simply follow the cave until you find a wounded NCR soldier next to a dead Radscorpion. If you get lost, follow the images below.
The NCR soldier, called Private Halford, is the NPC that makes the glitch possible. Select the following dialogue options to perform the glitch.
- “I heard your radio broadcast. I’m here to help.”
- “This is it, buddy.”
- “Are you okay?”
- Either “<Use Doctor Bag to heal his leg> This should help fix up your leg.” or the [Medicine 50] check.
- “That’s a nice gun you’ve got there.”
- “You’re free to leave. The way up is clear.”
These final two options can be infinitely repeated to give you a Service Rifle, 32 rounds of regular 5.56 ammo, and 15 rounds of 5.56 Armor-Piercing ammo.
- “You said I could have your rifle before you go.”
- “Why the rush to leave? You said you would help clear the caves.”