The Speech skill is one of the most important skills in the game, allowing the player to complete many quests in different ways and even unlocking new endings for certain characters or locations.
This guide will show you how to temporarily raise your Speech skill by the highest number possible.
Method 1: Clothing
The player can wear 1 hat and 1 suit of armor. The two items that raise the Speech skill the highest in this category are the Naughty Nightwear and Daniel’s Hat.
- Naughty Nightwear raises the player’s Speech skill by 10, which is the highest of any piece of clothing in the entire game.
It can be obtained from the Mick and Ralph’s store in Freeside. For detailed instructions, see the guide here.
- Daniel’s Hat increases the player’s Speech skill by 5 and is very easy to obtain.
Simply finish the Honest Hearts DLC. At the very end, you will find a rewards chest filled with items worn by the NPCs from the DLC. Daniel’s hat is among them.
Method 2: Chems
Note that there are no chems that directly improve your Speech skill, however, there are a few items that increase your Charisma. With each point of Charisma, you gain a bonus of +2 to your Speech skill.
Your Charisma cannot go below 1 or above 10, meaning that you can get a maximum of +18 to Speech from these items (by Raising your Charisma from 1 to 10).
- Any and all alcohol increases your Charisma. You can stack the effects of any alcohol with the effects of Moonshine. With a maxed-out Survival skill, alcohol will grant a +3 bonus to Charisma, while Moonshine will always grant a +2 to Charisma due to a bug.
Alcohol can be purchased from any bartender in the wasteland. Notably, Trudy at the Prospector Saloon in Goodsprings sells most types of alcohol and can be spoken to from the very beginning of the game.
- Mentats and Party Time Mentats. Mentats raise your Charisma by 2, while Party Time Mentats raise it by 5. The effects of these two items stack.
Mentats can be purchased from most drug dealers and doctors. Notably, Doc Mitchell sells them from the very start of the game.
Party Time Mentats cannot be found in high numbers anywhere in the game, however, they can be crafted at any campfire or hotplate if you have a Science skill of 50 or more using 1x Whiskey, 1xMentats, and 1x Honey Mesquite Pod.
Method 3: Skill books and magazines
Skill Books are the only item that permanently raises your Speech skill in the game.
- Each Speech skill book raises your Speech by 3 (or by 4 if you have the Comprehension perk). There are 4 Speech skill books in the base game, and 2 more in the DLC.
To learn where the skill books are located, see the guide here.
- Each Speech skill magazine increases the player’s Speech by 10 (or by 20 with the Comprehension perk).
Skill magazines can be located throughout the wasteland. Check mailboxes in settlements like Novac, Goodsprings, or Primm to find them. Julie Farkas in the Old Mormon Fort will also start selling skill magazines, including the Speech Skill magazine if you get a high enough reputation with the Followers of the Apocalypse.
If you need to find a Speech magazine as fast as possible, there is one located inside the Prospector Saloon in Goodsprings, in the back room on top of a wooden crate.