The Ranger Sequoia is a rare version of the Hunting Revolver used by veteran NCR Rangers. Unlike the Hunting Revolver, the Ranger Sequoia doesn’t have a scope and comes with a small boost to almost every single stat. In this guide, I’ll go over how to acquire this weapon, compare it to its base variant, and give you a few tips on how to use it.
- Carried by a high-ranking NCR soldier. While it’s technically not unique and can be found on any Veteran NCR ranger after the player reaches level 16, the only guaranteed copy of it is found on Chief Hanlon, from whom you can pickpocket the weapon.
- Can be acquired without killing anyone. As long as the NCR isn’t hostile towards you, you can acquire this weapon without killing anyone (and thus without losing NCR reputation).
- Made far easier with Stealth Boys. If your Sneak skill is low, consider bringing one, or even two Stealth Boys, as they will greatly increase your likelihood of successfully pickpocketing Chief Hanlon.
To acquire this weapon, you’ll have to make your way to Camp Golf, an NCR outpost located in the northwestern corner of Lake Mead.
Once there, you’ll see a large building. Head inside.
Once inside, you’ll see a flight of stairs. Walk up these stairs to get to the second floor.
Follow the wall to the double door on the other side of the room. That door will lead you to a balcony.
On the balcony, you’ll see an NCR ranger by the name of Chief Hanlon sitting on a chair. If he isn’t there, wait for a few hours. He’s only on the balcony during the day.
Go behind him and crouch. Once you enter a [HIDDEN] state, make a save, pickpocket him, and take his ammo. If you get caught, reload the save that you made and try again.
Once you have his ammo, go back inside the lodge, wait 2 to 3 in-game days, and go back out to the balcony. Hanlon should be sitting in his chair again but without his revolver equipped.
If he still has the Ranger Sequoia equipped, go back into the lodge and wait for a bit longer. He will eventually unequip it.
Repeat the steps you did to pickpocket his ammo but take the Ranger Sequoia instead.
Comparing the Ranger Sequoia to the Hunting Revolver
- Deals 4 more damage (62 damage vs 58 damage).
- Deals 4 more critical hit damage (62 critical damage vs 58 critical damage).
- Has a higher critical hit chance multiplier (1.5x vs 1x).
- Fires slightly faster (1.69 attacks/second vs 1.5 attacks/second).
- Costs 1 less AP to fire in VATS (30 AP vs 31 AP).
- Has a far lower spread (0.1 vs 0.35).
- Is more durable (745 shots before breaking vs 545 shots before breaking).
- Due to its excellent damage and swift fire rate, the Ranger Sequoia is an excellent choice for a workhorse revolver for a Cowboy build.
- Its low spread allows it to work even out to long ranges, meaning you don’t have to carry a rifle with you for long-range encounters. This also makes it an excellent choice to wield alongside a shotgun or melee/unarmed weapon.
- The Handloader perk allows you to craft SWC ammo for this weapon, which deals 20% more damage and ignores 6DT at the cost of degrading your weapon 3x faster.
- Thanks to the weapon’s low price, it can be repaired very cheaply, so this is hardly an issue.