Rose of Sharon Cassidy, or Cass for short, is a companion that can be found at the NCR-controlled Mojave outpost, however, to recruit her as a companion, you will first have to progress far enough in the quest “You Can Depend On Me”.
Quick tips before recruiting Cass.
- Neutral karma or better required. Cass will not join you on your adventures if you have bad karma.
- Neutral NCR reputation or better required. If you have a poor reputation with the NCR and they attack you on sight, you will not be able to recruit Cass.
Starting the Quest “You Can Depend On Me”
To start this quest, you’ll have to pay a visit to Alice McLafferty, who can be found at the Crimson Caravan Main Office, inside the Crimson Caravan Company.
Talk to Alice inside the Main Office (the medium-sized house behind Blake’s trading stand) and ask if she has any work available.
She will first ask you to give a note to Dr. Hildern. Accept the task.
Dr. Hildern is located inside Camp McCarran, an NCR outpost located in the middle of Vegas.
Follow the quest marker. It will lead you directly into the main building, where Dr. Hildern resides.
Speak to him and hand the note over.
Once you’ve handed the note over, you can return to Alice.
Tell her that you’ve finished the job and ask her “What other jobs do you have available.” Then, select “Tell me about the negotiation.”
Convincing Cass to sign the offer letter
Now you can finally go to the Mojave Outpost bar, where Cass is located.
Enter the bar and speak to Cass. Selecting the following dialogue options:
From here, you will need to pass one of the following checks:
“[Barter 50] I am prepared to offer you the terms, plus 750 caps.” (This option also requires that you have 750 caps in your inventory, otherwise, it does not appear.”
“[Barter 75] I’m not going to offer money, I wanted to drink for it.”
“[Speech 50] This is the last place you want to be trapped.”
“[Speech 75] If you made the caravan, you’re responsible for killing it.”
- Passing the [Speech 75] check allows you to instantly get her as a companion.
- Passing the [Barter 75] will require you to come back with 12 bottles of Whiskey and consume 3 of them, she will then join you as a companion.
- Passing the [Barter 50] option will also recruit her immediately but with the added cost of 750 caps, making it the most expensive option.
- Passing the [Speech 50] option will require you to finish a small side job for Ranger Jackson, called “Can You Find It In Your Heart?”. The job involves killing a few mutated fire ants. Finishing this quest also gives you a decent-condition Service Rifle, 72 Armor-Piercing 5.56 rounds, and 2 Caravan Lunches.
Regardless of which choice you make, you will now have Cass in your party as a companion.
“Can You Find It In Your Heart” side-task
If you find that your best (or only) option is the [Speech 50] option, you will have to finish this Side Quest to continue.
To finish it, first head to the Mojave Outpost’s main building and find Ranger Jackson.
Ranger Jackson should be somewhere in the back of the building.
Once you find him, ask if there is anything you can help him with.
Accept the task that he gives you.
After that, follow the quest marker to a location just a bit down the road. It’ll lead you to an area just west of the Nipton Road Rest Stop. There will be a few Mutated Fire Ants here.
Clear them out, then return to Ranger Jackson and tell him the task is done. Don’t forget to remind him of the reward he promised you.
Lastly, return to Cass and tell her about your success. She will now be willing to sign the letter and join your party.
Final dialogue with Cass
Whatever option you chose, Cass will have signed the letter by now, which will unlock new dialogue with her. Choose the following 2 dialogue choices to recruit her.
- “You could come with me.”
- “Why not? I could use someone who knows the roads.”
At last. Cass will now be in your party.