Outside of the For Auld Lang Syne quest line, the only other way to get a Remnants Power Helmet is in Silver Peak Mine, and the only way to get the armor is in the Deathclaw Promontory. Although it is not classified as a unique armor, the Remnants Power Armor can be unofficially classified as a “unique” armor for the following reasons:
- It has the highest DT set of armor in the entire game
- There is only two ways to get it, and one of them can be missed permanently because it is linked to both a companion quest and a faction: Arcade Gannon’s For Auld Lang Syne companion quest and the Followers of the Apocalypse respectively. If you become hated with the Followers or for whatever reason make it impossible to gain Arcade Gannon as a companion, there is only one other copy of this armor in the whole game.
If you are locked out of the For Auld Lang Syne quest, this guide will explain the only other way to get it.
Remnants Power Helmet
Quick tips before getting the helmet:
- Bring antivenom. The cave that you’ll be exploring is filled with Cazadores, including a legendary one. Being poisoned while dealing with swarms of Cazadores could put you in a very dangerous situation.
- Aim for the wings in V.A.T.S. Although difficult to hit, if you can cripple their wings in V.A.T.S., it will greatly slow them down and temporarily prevent them from flying. However, they will still move fast even while grounded so don’t let your guard down.
- Aim for the antenna in groups. Crippling a Cazador’s antenna will cause it to enter a frenzy state where it will attack anything nearby including other nearby Cazadors. This will cause infighting among the swarm so use this to your advantage to help even the odds.
- Bring area of effect weapons. Cazadores are hard to hit due to their small size and fast speed. Bringing an area of effect weapon, such as a missile launcher, fat man or a flamer will help if you aren’t confident in your aim. Interestingly enough, despite being flying enemies, they still trigger mines so you can use this to your advantage.
- Keep your distance. Cazadores don’t have a ranged attack, so keep your distance to avoid getting stung.
- Bring a Cateye/Nuka Cola Quartz. The visibility in Silver Peak Mine is low. Cateye and Nuka Cola Quartz both improve your ability to see in darkness. Alternatively, you can also increase the brightness on your monitor or in the game’s settings for this area.
The helmet is located in a place called Silver Peak Mine, located just down the road from Jacobstown.
When you enter, go left, enter the door and go straight. When you get to a fork, take the left path.
Head down and you will enter a large, open area. You will see a ridge to your right, that’s where you need to get. You must go to the back of the cave past a broken mine cart filled with explosives.
Once you fight off the Cazadores, find the entrance to the ridge. It’s a large entryway, supported by wooden pillars.
Once you get up on the ridge, follow it until and enter the gate you come to, after which and you’ll see the helmet laying next to a skeleton.
The armor is located on a dead Enclave member found in an unmarked location called Deathclaw Promontory. This area is one of the most dangerous areas in the game due to the sheer amount of deathclaws in the area.
Quick tips before getting the armor.
- Bring your best ammo and gear. You will have to fight off about a dozen Deathclaws, Young Deathclaws and a single Deathclaw Mother and Deathclaw Alpha Male. All of them are incredibly dangerous and have high DT, deal incredible damage and have high perception which makes sneaking only possible with an extremely high sneak level. Weapons like the Anti-Materiel Rifle or Riot Shotgun (with the “And Stay Back” perk) are highly recommended.
- Bring chems. This is one of the areas of the game where chems such as Med-X (reduce damage taken), Psycho (increase damage output), Turbo/Implant GRX (to slow down time) and Buffout (to increase max HP) are a near necessity to survive. You may also craft Slasher with a Science of 50 using 2 banana yucca fruits, a Med-X and a Psycho. Slasher combined with Med-X will give you a total of 50% damage resistance.
- Sneaking through. If your Sneak skill is high enough, you may also try sneaking through. Bring a Stealth Boy and come at night. Move slowly and stay as far away from the Deathclaws as you can.
- Rush to the river if you’re in danger. The Deathclaws will not follow you into the river,making it a sanctuary spot if needed.
- Bring a legion disguise. If you made the legion hostile, bring a legion disguise to skip the combat in Cottonwood Cove.
Once you’re prepared, head to Cottonwood Cove located east of Camp Searchlight. Jump the river and swim north.
As you are swimming up the river, note that you may be attacked by Lakelurks that sometimes spawn on small patches of land on the west side of the river.
Look to the east side of the river, and you should eventually see a sort of slope. That’s the entrance to the promontory.
Now that you’re here, stay attentive and eliminate or sneak past any and all Deathclaws. Once you walk up the slope, walk to the right. Far in the back, past all of the Deathclaws, you’ll see two dead bodies. One is wearing a full set of T-51b power armor, the other is wearing a full set of Remnants Power Armor.