The Scribe Counter is a special unarmed move that you can learn from Veronica while she’s your companion by giving her a dress.
Quick tips before you go learn the move:
- Some wait time may occur. When you hand the outfit to Veronica, there is a chance that the conversation may not occur and you need to take the outfit from her and give it back.
- May be impossible to get. Due to a bug, if you get any points toward Veronica’s companion quest “I Could Make You Care”, you will not be able to learn this move.
- If you’re on PC, you can use the console command “player.addperk 0015b8ea” (without quotation marks). This will give you the Scribe Counter perk and allow you to perform the attack as normal. Keep in mind that using console commands will disable achievements until you restart the game (though you can save after you’ve used the console command and restart the game).
How to learn the Scribe Counter
To get the Scribe Counter move, you’ll have to do 2 things, in any order:
- Get Veronica as a companion (guide here).
- Get a set of Formal Wear or White Glove Society Attire
The easiest way to get a set of either armor is to kill an NPC inside the Ultra-Luxe casino on the Strip.To do this, if you have a Sneak skill of less than 50, buy or otherwise get a Silenced .22 pistol (eg. from the Gun Runners, or from Mister Holdout, located next to the Gomorrah casino).
If your sneak skill is higher than 50, you have more options for weapons. The best option, however, is the .45 Auto Pistol from the Honest Hearts DLC modified with the Silencer attachment, as it deals the most damage per shot possible with a silent holdout weapon.
Once you have your weapon of choice, head into the Ultra-Luxe casino. Inside, you’ll be asked to hand your weapons over. Select the dialogue option that says “<Keep holdout weapons>”.
Lastly, find a good spot to sneak in (and where you are in a [HIDDEN] state), and pick off any of the random gamblers/white glove society members.
Caution: Save before you fire and do not kill any of the named NPCs. Doing so can lead to reputation loss or failing some quests/making some quests impossible to complete.
Once a satisfying number of NPCs are dead, holster your weapon and search the bodies. Hopefully, at least one of them will have the correct set of clothing, if not, continue killing until you get a suit.
Once you have the correct set of clothing, simply open Veronica’s companion wheel, open her inventory, and put the suit there.
If everything goes well, she will initiate dialogue with you when you exit her inventory. She’ll offer to teach you the Scribe Counter, accept and the screen will fade to black. Once you get your vision back, you’ll be able to perform the Scribe Counter.
Using the Scribe Counter
To perform the Scribe Counter, block an incoming melee/unarmed attack from another enemy and, within about ½ a second, perform a regular attack.
The attack has the same effects as a regular attack but is much faster. It can even be used to be in a blocking state for the entire duration of a fight if the player wishes to do so.
Overall, this is probably the most useful out of all of the special unarmed moves, as it allows the player to defend themselves during hard fights. It also works against not just humans, but also against creatures.