Young Hearts is a sidequest given to you by Jack, a member of the Boomers faction, at the Nellis Air Force Base.
This guide only contains minor spoilers for the sidequest.
Quick tips before starting this quest:
- Completing any other quests for the Boomers while this quest is active may cause Jack and/or Loyal to despawn. On PC, you can try to fix this using the following console command (without quotation marks): “player.moveto 000ff268”. This console command will teleport you to Jack, which should make him respawn. If not, you can also try “player.placeatme 000ff268”, which will spawn Jack at your current position.
- The quest reward for finishing this quest with the best ending will be some fame with the Boomers, in addition to 300XP and 470 Caps. The fame boost is very important because it means that you can use this quest to make progress in the Volare! Quest.
- To finish this quest, you’ll need the following perks/skills:
- Either the Confirmed Bachelor or Black Widow perk, or a speech skill of 35.
- A Speech skill of 75 or a Barter skill of 65.
Starting the quest
To start the quest, speak to Jack inside the Nellis Hangars, located inside the Nellis Air Force Base.
After speaking to him, select the “I’m looking for ways to help out. Anything come to mind?” dialogue option.
Next, select either the Confirmed Bachelor option, Black Widow option, or Speech 35 option to continue.
He’ll tell you about the matter at hand. Select the “Tell me about her.” dialogue option to continue
To start the quest, say “I’ll look into it, stranger things have happened.”
Next, you’ll have to find and talk to Janet. She’s a red-haired woman who works at the Crimson Caravan Company. Go there.
Once you meet her, talk to her, and keep selecting the top dialogue option until the dialogue ends. Make sure not to pick the [Speech 55] check, as that will fail the quest.
Next, Janet will ask you to get permission from the Boomers to go to their base. Getting permission is simple. Just go talk to Pearl, who’s located inside Pearl’s Barracks.
Once you find her, talk to her and select the following dialogue options:
- “Jack is interested in a girl.”
- “She works for the Crimson Caravan.”
- Either “[Speech 50] It would mean a lot to Jack if she could come to Nellis” or “I assure you, Janet would not be a threat to the tribe.”
Now you’ll be sent to talk to Jack again. When you get to him, talk to him and select the top dialogue option both times.
You’ll be given a Boomer jacket to give to Janet, which means that you now have to go back to the Crimson Caravan.
Once you get back to Janet, give her the Boomer jacket. She’ll then tell you that she has contractual obligations with the company, so she’ll ask you to relieve her of her duties.
To do this, you’ll need to go speak to Alice Mc Lafferty, the owner of the Crimson Caravan. Here, you have 3 options for dealing with her.
- Passing a Speech check of 75
- Passing a Barter check of 65
- Accepting Alice’s deal.
Accepting Alice’s deal isn’t ideal, but doing it won’t have any consequences on you other than losing a small amount of XP.
Finishing the quest
Finally, you can return to Jack for the last time. It may take up to several in-game hours for Janet to get to Nellis. You can simply wait for 5-10 hours, and she should be there.
Once Janet gets to Nellis, speaking to Jack will complete the quest.